This is perfect if you have any leftover bread lying around and fancy a hearty bit of grub on a cold evening.
- 10 slices essential Waitrose Sliced Brioche Loaf
- 40g butter, softened
- 100g Billington’s Fairtrade
- 3 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 200ml whole milk
- 2 large Fairtrade bananas, thinly sliced
- 40g desiccated coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 180ªC, gas mark 4. Lightly butter the brioche and cut each slice into triangles.
2. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the sugar, then whisk the remainder
with the eggs until light and foamy. Stir in the coconut milk and whole milk until well blended.
3. Line the base of a large oven proof dish with a third of the slices of bread and top with some of the banana slices. Repeat until the bread and banana are all layered into the dish. Pour over the egg mixture and set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
4. Scatter the reserved sugar and the coconut on top. Sit the dish in a large roasting tin and pour boiling water into the tin so it comes two thirds up the side of the dish. Bake for 40–45 minutes until set and golden brown.
The simple bread and milk base of this dish allows for many different flavour combinations. Try slices of mango sprinkled with cinnamon in place of the banana, or top with chopped apricots and pistachios.
Thousands of recipes can be found at www.waitrose.com/recipes