Hot summer days and nights (with another heat wave predicted for the end of July) call for refreshing delights that are easy to make but will still impress your guests. This delicious Melon, Vodka and Ginger Granita has a little bit of edge and works just as well as an aperitif as it does as a light dessert.
Prepared and cooked overnight
- Galia melons
- 0.5 lemons
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 thick slices fresh root ginger
- 1 tbsp vodka
- 125ml water
Peel, deseed and cut the Galia melons into chunks. Juice the lemons.
- Put the sugar in a small pan with the water and stir over a gentle heat until dissolved.
- Add the ginger, then boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool, then remove the ginger from the syrup and discard.
- Put the melon in a good processor and whizz to a purée. Transfer to a freezer container with a lid.
- Stir in the sugar syrup, vodka and lemon juice, mixing well. Put the lid on and place in the freezer for 2-3 hours, until it starts to freeze around the edges.
- Beat the mixture with a fork to break up the ice crystals, then return to the freezer for another 2 hours.
- Beat the mixture again and return to the freezer until completely frozen.
Transfer the granita to the fridge for 20 minutes before serving in glasses or bowls.