The UK’s leading holistic cancer charity, Penny Brohn, is looking for runners to raise valuable funds at the Bristol Half Marathon on 25 September.
“Every penny raised will help Penny Brohn continue to provide its free life-changing courses” – Emma Smith, charity spokeswoman
Living with Cancer
- Around 352,000 people are diagnosed with cancer in the UK annually
- Over 2.5 million people live with or beyond cancer in the UK
- Around 1/4 of people with or beyond cancer face disability or poor health post-treatment
- Over 1/3 of people are anxious or depressed
How Penny Brohn Help
In 2014, Penny Brohn UK received Department of Health (DH) funding to offer a Wellness Packageto people with cancer and their close supporters.
It comprised: 60 of Penny Brohn’s flagship Living Well courses, reaching 519 people, and 12 months’ Follow Up support.
Principally results showed:
- Concerns and wellbeing improved
- People could better self-manage health
- People changed how they accessed healthcare services
Reflecting on specific changes:
- 84% said the course helped improve diet
- 69% said it helped improve exercise
- 90% said it helped improve using self-help techniques
- 67% said it helped improve their relationships
- 87% said they made “a few” or “lots” of positive lifestyle changes