This soft and squidgy American classic cake-cum-cookie is made even more delicious by the addition of juicy fresh cherries. Help yourself to a square (or two!) with your mid-morning coffee, or serve warm with cream as a dessert.
Preparation time:15 minutes
Cooking time:20 minutes to 25 minutes
Total time:40 minutes
150g dark chocolate
225g light muscovado sugar
50g cocoa powder
100g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp coffee granules
3 Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs, beaten
200g essential Waitrose Cherries, stoned and halved
50g milk chocolate, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4, and line a 20cm square baking tin with baking parchment.
2. Gently melt the butter, dark chocolate and sugar together in a saucepan, stirring until well mixed, then remove from the heat.
3. Add the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and coffee granules to the mixture, and combine. Then gradually beat in the eggs.
4. Add the cherries and chopped milk chocolate, and stir in.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, and bake for 20–25 minutes until set but still with a bit of give in the centre. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 16 squares to serve.
When melting chocolate, it’s important that it doesn’t get too hot. If you want to play it safe, rather than using a saucepan melt the butter, chocolate and sugar together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
Thousands of recipes can be found at www.waitrose.com/recipes.