The lovely Ali from The Bristol Bakehouse knows a thing or two about vegan baking! Being coeliac she knows the importance of cross-contamination and that your food bill often doubles. She knows the difference between coeliac disease and terms like intolerance and allergy, and experiences the excitement felt when seeing the little gf sign on a menu. Ali here shares with you one of her most delicious vegan cake recipes perfect for the summer, a celebration or just for a spot of fun baking.
This makes two 8″ sponge layers or 24 cupcakes
450ml soya milk
2 tspns cider vinegar
150ml vegetable oil
300g caster sugar
2 tspns vanilla extract
360g self-raising gluten-free flour
1 tspn salt
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius (170 fan).
- Either line 2 x 8″ round sandwich tins with foil OR put 24 cupcake cases into tins.
- Put soya milk and vinegar in a bowl to curdle.
- Mix in the oil, sugar and vanilla.
- Sift in the flour and salt and beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour into prepared tins/ cases and bake (20 mins for cupcakes; 25 minutes for large cakes).
- Cool on a wire rack.
- When completely cold, fill with jam and ice with a vegan frosting or dust with icing sugar.
For a coloured sponge, add vegan food paste to the desired colour (e.g. pink).
For a chocolate cake, substitute 40g of gluten-free flour for the same amount in cocoa powder.