Make like Bristol bartender Alex Godfrey and fling open the booze cabinet in the name of celebrating the city this month. It’s always five o’clock somewhere…
Award-winning local mixologist Alex Godfrey has teamed up with Label 5 Scotch Whisky to create a bespoke new cocktail recipe inspired by Bristol. The Bristol 5 O’Clock Tea, created by the Milk Thistle’s general manager, celebrates Bristol producers and the city’s heritage, bringing together ingredients from the South West including Harveys Bristol Cream, a local beer cordial, and sherry as a nod to Bristol being the first to import the spirit to the UK. “Creating a cocktail influenced by Bristol was a moment to celebrate all of the fantastic produce created in the city and beyond,” said Alex. “I was inspired by one of my favourite drinks, the Old Fashioned, as the foundation to build the drink, and I can’t wait for Bristolians to try it!”
Bristol 5 O’Clock Tea by Alex Godfrey
• 30ml Label 5 Gold Heritage Scotch Whisky
• 20ml local beer cordial (can be made at home using 1:1 ratio of Bath Ale blonde beer and sugar. Stir it down and wait until settled)
• 15ml Amaro
• 15ml Harveys Bristol Cream
• 10ml Creme de Pêche
• Add all ingredients into a mixing vessel with cubed ice and stir until ingredients are perfectly diluted.
• Pour diluted mix over a hand-cut block of ice in a double Old Fashioned tumbler glass.
• Peel a strip of fresh orange rind and zest over the top of the glass, adding aroma and brightness to the cocktail.